Full-Time Legal Counsel
Act as Presenting Officer as required under the Police Act/Police Service Regulation.
Appear before Presiding Officer at police disciplinary hearings, LERB, other administrative tribunals, boards and all levels of court in appeals and judicial review applications.
Maintain a caseload ensuring compliance with caseload priorities and timelines, strategy and conduct of police discipline prosecutions and other litigation matters as required.
Contribute to and participate in the development of standardized practices, guidelines and procedures for the administration of police professional conduct matters.
Establish, monitor and continuously improve processes and case management performance.
Provide advice and prepare formal legal opinions as required and draft various legal documents including all pleadings and briefs necessary to properly litigate all assignments.
- LLB (Bachelor of Law Degree) and membership in good standing with the Law Society of Alberta.
- As this position is expected to work independently, conducting a variety of hearings and prosecutions, the incumbent is required to have a minimum of 5 years related litigation experience with excellent advocacy and negotiation skills and sound judgment.
- Thorough knowledge of administrative law, investigative practices and rules of evidence is required.
- Requires exceptional verbal and written communication skills as well as strong strategic ability.
- Experience gained in a professional regulatory context would be advantageous.
- Strong working knowledge of the Police Act/Police Service Regulation and Labour and Employment law practices and principles would be an asset.
- Ability to identify and raise issues of concern in a proactive fashion, while balancing and managing multiple demands in high paced environment.
An enhanced security clearance will be conducted.
Successful applicants must provide proof of qualifications.
165 total views, 1 today